Experience exceptional fishing for Brown Trout and Arctic Char in the untouched wilderness of Iceland. The expansive and untamed Arnarvatnsheidi region, a vast highland moorland adorned with countless lakes, interconnected rivers, and streams, is a haven for abundant wild and native Arctic Char and Brown Trout. The Arctic Char typically ranges from 1 to 2 pounds, while Brown Trout commonly weighs 2 to 4 pounds.
Surrounded by a breathtaking panorama of mountain ranges and glaciers, Arnarvatnsheidi offers a pristine backdrop for angling adventures. Employing streamers, nymphs, and dry flies based on prevailing conditions.
Accessing the area requires a 4×4 while accessing some of the lakes may require a hike on foot or using modified 4WD vehicles, adding an extra element of adventure to your journey. Throughout the lakes, rivers, and streams, you’ll encounter an abundance of sizable Arctic Char and Brown Trout, making every cast a potential catch of a lifetime. Discover the thrill of fishing in this unspoiled Icelandic paradise!
Licenses for Arnarvatnsheiði are valid for the following lakes and rivers:
- Refsveina river above Stóralón lake
- Arnarvatn Litla lake
- The two Arfavötn lakes
- Ólafsvatn lake
- Veiðitjörn lake
- Leggjabrjótstjarnir lakes
- Mordísarvatn lake
- Krummavatn lake
- Jónsvatn lake
- Krókavatn lake
- Núpatjörn lake
- Þorgeirsvatn lake
- Þorvaldsvötn lake
- Hlíðarvatn lake
- Þórhallarlón lake
- Strípalón lake
- Hávaðavötn lake
- Gilsbakkaá river
- Úlfsvatn lake
- Úlfsvatnsá river
- Grunnuvötn lakes
- Syðra-Kvíslavatn lake
- Gunnarssonavatn lake
- Djúpalón lake
- Álftavötn lake
- Kaldalón lake
- Nautavatn lake
Options for accommodations are 5 basic mountain cabins that need to be booked in advance or camping in the vastness of the Arnarvatnsheiði moor.
All cabins have running water and gas heating and are basic bunk bead accommodations.
Úlfsvatnsskáli cabin by Lake Úlfsvatn is 90m2 and can accommodate 20 people.
Arnarvatn Litla Lake Cabin is 24m2 and accommodates 8 people.
Úlfsvatn 8 person cabin. 25m2
Úlfsvatn 4 person cabin 15m2
Álftakrókur cabin is 110m2 and can accommodate 30 people
- Permitted fishing methods are flies, spinners, and bait. Exception for Refsveina River and Stóra Lón Lake, where only fly fishing and catch/release are allowed.
- In Refsvein and Stóra Lón, fishing is only allowed with a fly, and all fish must be released.
- Do not stray from marked or trodden paths.
- Carry all rubbish (garbage) back to inhabited areas and be respectful of camping sites and riverbanks.
- Using fishing gear other than a fishing rod is prohibited.
- In all other matters, refer to the laws regarding salmon and trout fishing.
- Anglers must carry their fishing permits and present them upon request.
- Avoid disturbing livestock unnecessarily.
- If dogs are brought along, they must be on a leash; loose dogs will not be tolerated.
- It should be noted that the waters on the fishing grounds are not intended for water sports. This includes jet skis and boats with motors exceeding 10 hp.
- Fishing permits are valid for specific calendar days and are not transferable.
- Only whole days are sold.
Distance from Reykjavík:
June 15th-August 31st.
Number of rods:
Fly, spinners, bait
#4-6 single handed
The best flies:
Dries, Nymphs, streamers
Camping or mountain huts
Mixed - 4x4 required